30.6.09

My Awesome Brother

Today I went home (where my parents live?) for dinner. I didn't realise how rarely I actually do this until I got there. Ishan really wanted me to play with him (pretty much the norm when I visit) and we were tired of playing hockey on playstation. So after dinner, I convinced him to sit down and play piano with me. At first he looked at me like I'm an idiot, "Josh, I don't know how to play piano!"

"I know, but we'll just make stuff up. Please?"

So I sat him beside me on the bench and we experimented. we found notes that sounded great together, and notes that sounded terrible. It was so fascinating to watch his little mind work, and it filled me with so much love and appreciation for Ishan and all his brilliance. He immediately recognized dissonant groups of notes and the more harmonious ones. within seconds of me explaining octaves, he understood and could find every C on the piano. he noticed the patterns of the white and black keys, and listened as he slowly brushed his hand from one end of the piano to the other. It really was a beautiful moment, as we both observed the simplicity of the sound as if for the first time. And then he was ready. I played the first six notes of Happy Birthday. "Let me try," he said. We then spent the next 45 minutes learning the whole song. He was eager to learn, and after he learned each of the four lines, he'd make everyone listen while he performed it. It was amazing to watch him struggle and get confused and almost make it all the way through only to mess up and demand to start over from the beginning. Shanaya and Jonalyn sang along. I just found it so beautiful to watch him learn and push himself. To actually watch knowledge and understanding form in a child's brain is pretty incredible. Especially when it happens so quickly. I think he really enjoyed playing too. He decided he wants to practice it so he can play it for me on my birthday. When he finally made it all the way through, we both smiled and high-fived. I'm super proud of that kid.

P.S. Playstation is pretty lame compared to moments like these.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey, it's fairly fantastic that you want to comment!