19.7.10

Worst Buy

I used to work at Best Buy. I sold computers, laptops, printers, and my soul for a few extra bucks when i got back from traveling the world. I was good at it too. I was honest, I listened, I didn't pressure, and I didn't upsell or add on crappy extra service packages that were a total scam.

And none of the staff liked me. 

I had nearly daily run-ins with one of the supervisors who held the keys to the cages in the back where all the laptops were stored. every time i sold a laptop, i would have to go track her down (she never answered the pages over the intercom) and ask for the keys. I would usually sell 6-8 laptops a day, and she got extremely frustrated every time, to the point where she would take the keys and throw them across the backroom. I wanted to throw HER across the room, but she was MUCH MUCH too heavy for that--years of built up anger and depression in the form of pounds.  But instead I did nothing and just kept selling laptops. I would quit/be let go three weeks later.

Today I went back. Everyone remembered me, which I find impressive, since my three weeks of employment was over two years ago. I took in my laptop so they could tell me why it wasn't working, and had a nice conversation with one of the staff.

J: Hello.

Best Buy Dude: Hey, it's been a while!

J: Yeah I'm just tryin to figure out why my laptop isn't turning on, can you help me?

BBD: Sure. *Fiddles with power button, and the power cord and the escape key, only to realise i was telling the truth and that it won't turn on.* Well, looks like we'll have to send it away for an expensive repair. Would you like to buy a new laptop instead? 

J:uhhh..noo...and i believe it's still under your 3 year protection plan, so i shouldn't have to pay.

BBD: Oh. Fine. Well, before we send it off, you should get your data backed up.

J: good idea, thanks.

BBD: It'll cost ya.

J: Oh then i'll just do it myself at home.

BBD: (speaking slowly) Hmm...I'm not really sure how you're going to be able to do that...

J: (mocking him) hmmm..then i'm not really sure i trust you to work on my computer if you don't know how to do that. *Walks out*


Best Buy, you suck. You try and take my money, you try and take my happiness, and you try and take my computer. NO. I will not let you.

I have taken my computer home, and FIXED IT MYSELF. How do I know this? Because i'm typing right now. How did I do this? I don't have a clue..

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey, it's fairly fantastic that you want to comment!