25.6.10

OH..THAT'S how you cut a bagel.

When I first moved into this house, I used to make bacon, egg, and cheese bagels every single morning. I ate like a king. It's not like all those ingredients weren't immediately available to me while living at home, but when i finally struck out on my own, a certain sense of empowerment came over me, and i realised that i can make whatever I want---indeed, i would only be eating whatever I made, so I better make something I want.


Anyways.


I eventually gave up on this specific meal because a) my bagels were never as good as Tim Horton's version, and 2) bagels are really difficult to cut because where do you hold the bagel while you're cutting? I have visible scars from being unable to solve this problem. One of my earliest memories is of blood literally PUMPING out of my  finger early in the morning, and I had to go wake up my parents to make the bleeding stop. But first I took a picture.




So how do people cut bagels? It's a frightening endeavor for sure.. there's just so many dangers, and people have various ways of protecting themselves:
Or more drastically...


Or less effectively...

But then this last week, i finally figured it out. if you take the knife, and aim the tip of the knife for the HOLE (not the whole) of the bagel  and slowly cut around the bagel instead of taking the whole thing on with one cut through. This way, you can still hold the rest of the bagel and simply rotate it as you cut. YES!


Did everyone else already know how to do this? I feel undeniably intelligent due to this discovery. Don't ruin that for me.

3 comments:

  1. I've A)Never thought to cut a bagel that way,
    and B)Never cut myself trying to cut a bagel,and am therefore without need to use this ingenious bagel-cutting method.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think most people I know cut their bagels like the way you just "discovered". Sorry to kill it, but it had to be said.

    ReplyDelete

Hey, it's fairly fantastic that you want to comment!