20.8.09

Silversun Pickups!

Despite the fact that I couldn't convince anyone to go with me, I went to Silversun Pickups a few days back. Being a very influential band and definitely in my top 6, I couldn't miss the opportunity.

I love/hate (It's complicated) how some bands come on stage: Without any intro music, preliminary cheering or buildup. They slink onstage in the dim glow of the few lights left on to remind the anxious crowd that there is indeed a concert tonight, and that they haven't forgotten. The band will pick up their guitars and launch into their first song like an office worker on his way to his cubicle first thing in the morning. They don't smile or jump around. It reminds me that this is their job. But instead of toting coffee mugs they bring guitars. and instead of filling out forms, they add drum fills. It is their job to lose their souls and their minds to the song...to the show. They answer to someone and there is little job security.

But when they hit that opening chord, it doesn't matter one bit because while people might pat you on the back for a job well done in an office, here at the concert, they will be screaming your name and cheer you on, losing their minds and souls with you when you are on stage.


So liven up a little, rock stars. It may be your job, but it's far from a bad one. If you aren't going to look like you're having fun, you are as replaceable as the interns working for ATCO. When the show gets going, put some heart into it.


Silversun Pickups write great songs, but since they are an artificial group created in a studio in LA, they have zero passion and feeling. they're a business project. I was slightly more than disappointed. When I saw Wintersleep (also in my top 6), I realised that the music was far better when it pertained to MY life and MY problems and MY experiences. Not watching them play the songs.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey, it's fairly fantastic that you want to comment!