4.12.09

Memory: Slowly, It All Will Fade To Black.

Some random mumblings on the idea of memory, the past, time, and forgetting. 
Why they concern me today? I don't know.

 

 _________________________________________________

I want / I'm waiting for / How can I find




something new / something forgotten / something lost


___________________________________________

Me: Grandma, one day soon, I'd like you to tell me the story of your life.
Grandma: Well, usually they tell that story at the funeral.
Me: ...I'd like to hear it before then.
_____________________________________________
A recollection of a girl:

When a memory loses the war with time
I've lost all that once was mine.


When the little things are forgotten
(but surely there were little things, right?)
When she has forgotten that there were the little things
(Vague, dim, hazy...)
When she forgets that she has forgotten.
 (Damn it, Time, what is left for us?)


What's worse than forgetting?--
Losing physical traces of what she remembers.
Losing the people who share her memory.
Losing people to time, to distance.
The people I shared those memories with:
When they forget
and I forget
Then suddenly, it's like it never happened.


There's nothing like living in the past,
Always with her head turned around
looking the other way.
It hurts her after a while.

The present is just a single fleeting breath
between where she will go
and the place she just left
It is of little use, since her past led her here
and her future will lead you away,
 Nothing more than a reference point to gauge her next step
A chance to pause, and:
to forget what never mattered, to love and regret what did,
to focus on what hasn't happened yet,
The challenges she has not met.

The future-
so uncertain!
And yet to fear it is so irrational
Passion is a better fuel than fear, no doubt.
For if a turned head led me in here-
to this cave of craving something I once knew,
then perhaps forgetting will lead me out?


Then let it go:
The good, the bad, that longing for that which I've never had.

And grab hold:
Something new, something better, something true.
And allow the memories to wither, as the many become the few.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey, it's fairly fantastic that you want to comment!