30.10.09

Halloween+Jesus?

I'm not a big holiday person, but I don't want to be a party pooper.

Is it totally disrespectful and vulgar and morally wrong to go as Jesus to a Halloween party (I'll only know one person there)? What about as a modern day Jesus, like 'Incarnate' style? The message it would portray is "Hey, you know..Jesus could come back as an every day guy, and he might even come to a Halloween party. I mean, he's gotta be well liked, and you'll be more popular if you go to Halloween parties, right? So keep your eyes open...if you believe in that idea..."

It doesn't really matter what I believe, but we can reasonably agree there IS a chance that Jesus could pay us a visit. We don't have to believe it to know the story and understand the possibility of it being true.. I mean,  no one knows anything for sure. We can agree, whatever his agenda was, that Jesus was probably a pretty nice guy back in his day. I'd pick him for dodgeball. So at this Halloween party,  all I would have to do is show up, be awesome (not difficult), and maybe I'd get a chuckle or two.

I'd really like some opinions on this one. I don't want to be offensive...this time.

My costume would consist of a nice shirt and pants...Casual. I may or may not tote a bible, and a classic name tag reading "HI My name is... Jesus"..none of the tacky 'Jesus garb' that I find really cheesy and mockery...it makes him like a mascot for his team when he's wearing that white dress thingy and red sash.


This situation reminds me of a renowned French artist in the '20s who submitted (under an alias) a mass-produced urinal as an art piece. He titled it "Fountain". People loved the joke and thought provoking conversation, but many people really disliked calling it 'art'.


But whoa now. Let's not debate religion or what constitutes art...even though a costume of Jesus crosses into both those realms. I just wanna know: How uncool is the costume idea?


Some people find even THIS representation offensive.
Such a touchy subject.
Why?

Comments!

4 comments:

  1. It's a good idea. Anyone who disagrees can eat it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A bold plan for a party where you don't really know anybody. It would certainly turn some heads and maybe even get some conversation going. I could never muster the cajones to do something like that, but kudos to you if you do! If you work Sunday you'll have to let me know how that works out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you're avoiding the tacky and cheesy, a bag saying "my name is Jesus" is pretty up there on the lame scale. Also, Jesus definitely didn't carry a bible. Duh.
    If you're avoiding mockery, what else is dressing up as Jesus doing other than mocking him?
    If you're avoiding offending people, know that people WILL be offended by you "dressing up" as Jesus, even if they don't say it.
    Halloween costumes (every one I've ever seen) are meant to be scary, evil, or slutty. I don't think Jesus could be considered any one of those. I think that would be a degradation of everything He has ever represented.
    But do what you want. Just some thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't listen to what that other person said, Halloween costumes can be anything you want them to be. A degradation of everything he has ever represented? Oh please, whine more. Do it man, it'll be great.

    ReplyDelete

Hey, it's fairly fantastic that you want to comment!