12.10.09

nothanksgiving

Reaaally?

We take a day to celebrate what we are thankful for by killing it, eating too much of it, and then passing out because all the blood has rushed to our stomach to provide us with enough energy to digest. Wow. That's really ceremonious. That's respectable.

Now I'm all for big meals and the family, but let's gain a little perspective on what it is we are doing this for. And if you say 'giving thanks' or 'remembering what we are grateful for', that has nothing to do with dead birds steaming on the table. Seriously people, you eat this much food because it tastes good. Anything else is just a stepping stone to that goal.

Is gluttony still one of those seven deadly sins?


I'd honestly rather not associate all over eating and steaming dead bird with being 'thankful'. There's better ways to show thanks. And while we're talking about thankful, someone enlighten me: what does that mean, 'to be thankful'? Who are you thanking?

If it's God, or some higher power, then I get it, I support that idea. You are thanking that higher power for all that he has given and done for you.

But, what of the staunch Athiests out there? Do they celebrate thanksgiving, or do they just stuff their faces for fun. If they do celebrate, how can the be thankful? It seems like that's just an opportunity for them to pat themselves on the back. "Thanks to ME for my job, thanks to ME for my friends, Thanks to ME for my health, since I look out for me."

In either situation, we can all be thankful for the other people in our life.

I guess I just don't get what people's perception of this holiday really is. I'm thankful I got paid triple time today, and that I get to spend the evening with family. But did we really need to wait until today to make it known what we value?

 All I'm saying is, go stuff your faces, and hang with family, but remember that's really all you're doing. Right?


Mmmm...mashed potatoessss.


PS, I'm not a holiday person.

2 comments:

  1. For me (not religious), thanksgiving is a time for family, good eats, and lots of laughs. It's really just an excuse to get together and eat too much turkey and mashed potatoes/yams and drink too much wine. It's something that usually ends up REMINDING us of what we are thankful for, and how good our life really is, as well as giving us giant food-babies and sleepy-heads.
    I don't particularly look forward to thanksgiving itself. I look forward to the long weekend (YAY), the pumpkin pie, and the people.
    Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not a holiday person? Oh really?!

    ReplyDelete

Hey, it's fairly fantastic that you want to comment!