18.11.09

Perspective Plagues The Objective Mind



So maybe my vague reference to the bible in my last post seems unsubstantiated or aggressive, and I appreciate someone piping up to say that I didn't connect the dots. I may not have  explained it too well, but I didn't say anything I didn't mean. I was making a simple observation that we (humanity regardless of religion) make the bible into what we want it to say for a specific purpose or agenda. Gay rights activists will point out different perspectives and interpretations than a southern baptist preacher, just as a poor man will cling to different verses or ideas for hope than the CEO of some oil company like Shell will for peace of mind. Or, more profoundly, an Atheist will find flaw in the same verse that a Christian finds solace. Perspective plagues the objective mind.

Now...why did I make this bible reference before the video? Because the western idea of marriage is primarily a result of the combination of two ideologies: Greco-Roman culture and Judeo-Christian belief. In fact, it's these two groups of people that have formed the foundations of what we now consider "western thought" or "western culture" or "western" anything. So when we look at how the definition of marriage has changed as western culture moves 'forward', we are essentially comparing marriage now to marriage in biblical times. What Dan describes as marriage complete with dowry and the transfer of ownership of the wife is straight out of the bible. Whether you all like it or not.

So yes, it's all about the bible. It's about how the bible has influenced the way we (westerners) all think (most of us), and how we slowly violate what it teaches, and in turn, people cry outrage until the rebellious activity becomes acceptable to even the conservative Christians. A term worth researching: Liberal Christianity. Very fascinating interpretations of the bible.


I'm making no judgements up to now, just pointing out that what you believe might not really jive with the book you claim to be referencing, depending on who interprets it.  I'm just tired of people saying they have "it" all figured out.

I hope that clarifies that I was simply making an observation about the point that Dan Savage was alluding to: the same people who say gay marriage is sin are the same people who break handfuls of other marriage laws and defend their changed minds. So that's that. thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey, it's fairly fantastic that you want to comment!